Friday, January 6, 2012

Courthouse / Rathaus Rothenburg ob der Tauber

This is a photo I took during my stay in Rothenburg ob der Tauber.  The Rathaus is on the right and the Marien Apotheke is on the left.  This is the market square and you'll find lots of activity here.
The reason I'm posting this photo is to show how things can be overlooked.  Hiding in plain sight as it were.  In the photo you can see the turret type window of the Rathaus and just beneath that you can see the beginnings of an archway and an old wooden door.  I can not tell you how many times I walked by that door.  I was more interested in the fountain or the Apotheke and I had already seen the courthouse many times before.  Actually I never noticed the door, saw it perhaps, but it never really registered.  While wandering through the Criminal Museum gift shop I saw a postcard of this door.  The post card was what caught my eye.  I'm always looking for interesting doors and I wondered where this door was.  I was surprised to find that it was part of the courthouse.
I never really got the chance to take a photo of the door because it is in a very heavily trafficked area.  It is worth taking a moment to check it out.
Travel smart, travel safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment