Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pfalzgrafenstein Rhineland Pfalz

This is Pfalzgrafensteinburg is a toll castle on the Falkenau island, otherwise known as Pfalz Island in the Rhine river near Kaub, Germany. Known as "the Pfalz", this former stronghold is famous for its picturesque and unique setting.
I just recently learned that it is possible to visit this fort as it is now a museum.  You take a ferry from Kaub as long as river conditions permit.  If I ever get the chance to visit here again I'll be sure to visit the museum.
I took this photo from a lookout point along the highway between Bacharach and Oberwesel.  I was there in the winter so this is what I got.  I really like this fort.  It is painted in the baroque scheme.  It will pretty much depend on which side of the Rhine you travel on as to what kind of view you'll get.
General Blücher crossed the Rhine here on his way to help Wellington at the battle of Waterloo.
This stretch of the Rhine between Koblenz and Bingen is worth the visit.  You will see the Lorelei Cliff of German myth.  You can cross the Rhine at Bingen to visit the town of Rüdesheim am Rhein famous for its Asbach Uralt Brandy and chocolate candies.  I would recommend trying a Rüdesheimer Kaffee if you need to get the chill off.  Part of the experience is watching it being made.  It tastes good also.

No comments:

Post a Comment