Sunday, January 30, 2011

Workshop musing

I was silly enough to volunteer to give a lighting workshop for my photo club. Being a self taught photographer these many years could prove interesting to say the least. I've only really gotten into 'lighting' in the past few years. Like most people I follow people that have the same philosophy as I. I've attended one lighting seminar in the past year. I learned quite a bit from the seminar but at the time I was a bit frustrated. The acoustics was terrible, I have trouble hearing, and because of the large screen projectors the lights were dim. I have issues with night vision. Being as I am a Canon user and the lessons were about Nikon equipment I had some conversion issues there too.
After a couple of days I finally got my gear together and started trying to mimic some of the lessons taught. Surprise I actually managed to get my equipment to do some of the things taught. That is making progress. I've been sort of stumbling around for a few years experimenting with lighting. It has been sort of hit and miss in the results. I've gathered gear as recommended by Strobist and built some of my own gear and follow DIYPhotography. I modified my mono-light beauty dish to fit my Canon Speedlites. I really like that beauty dish. It isn't anything fancy but the way I modified it I am still able to use it on my mono-light or Speedlite. It did cost me a speed ring that I had to replace for my small soft box but that's water under the bridge. http://www.flickr.com/photos/8525912@N07/3516138728/in/set-72157617822319785/
I then came upon a couple e Books by Edward Verosky and Jimmy D and I have now found a couple of people that not only think like I do but share what they know to everyone. Yes, there is a price in purchasing the books but trust me there a cost in being very frustrated by not getting the results I am trying to achieve.
I've been in the 'studio,' that's actually my living room, getting acquainted with the techniques I've been reading about. As I'm on a budget I went to the local beauty supply house and bought a wig mannequin head. Maybe not the greatest model around but I don't have to worry about her not showing up or calling in sick.
I'm waiting for my new gear to arrive so I can put her back to work and post the results here.

No comments:

Post a Comment