Saturday, January 29, 2011

New Gear Ordered

I have decided to expand my light modifying gear. I've been working away from my mono-light studio set up. The main reason for this is that I know there will be no power at some of the locations I plan on shooting. I began studying my options. My first step was to sit down and do some internet research about what it would take to get me 'mobile' in terms of purchasing portable lighting equipment. I don't make my living doing photography so I really don't have much of a budget for going out and buying a $3000 power pack and head system. I realized that I could buy a small generator but that involved bringing gasoline and storing gasoline in my car. It took only a few seconds to say no to that idea for now. My last option came clear to me when I scored a couple of used Speed lights I bought locally using Craig's List. I also managed to score a couple of Pocket Wizard IIs the same way. I've been lucky using Craig's List to find equipment. I like the idea of being able to see and use equipment before I buy it. So I've managed to build up my photo resources this way.
I thought I was on my way to getting better results with my new equipment. It turns out that the equipment I had for my mono lights needed additional equipment to use with my Speed Lights. My learning curve turned out to be not as steep as I thought, thanks to Strobist.
So now I've gone and ordered some Speed light specific equipment that will do the same thing as my mono-light based system will.
I think I'm lucky in the fact that I've managed to come up with some very nice results using my off camera flashes. Do my off camera flashed perform as well as my mono-lights? The simple answer is yes. Do I still use my mono-lights? Yes. I'm a limited budget photographer. I have a room that I've turned into a 'studio'. When you set up background stands, a 2'x3' soft-box, a reflector with stands and a couple other 'needed' pieces of equipment along with my model and myself there is very little room inside my studio to move.
So this is me talking about my adventures in learning about 'studio' lighting. I'm self taught so I may find some interesting topics along the way. I've found several already. I'm going to go into more detail in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment