Friday, January 8, 2010

St. Jakob's Church

This is called the Heiligblut Alter. The holy blood alter as it is believed to contain three drops of blood from Jesus in a Crucifix higher up in the carving. This carving was started in 1496 and completed in 1501.  The figures are life size.  Tilman Riemenschneider is the person who carved the figures.




St. Jakob's Church will be celebrating its 700 anniversary in 2011 and is currently undergoing renovations to its exterior and some of the interior. I've been there twice since I've gotten here and I believe I'll be there a couple more times before I leave. It is a great place to take photographs.
This is called the High Alter and it is very large and wonderfully done.







 This is the alter of the coronation of the Virgin Mary done by a student of Tilman Riemenschneider that carved the Blood Alter.

 If you get the opportunity to visit here then you should take a couple hours to walk around.  If you get the chance to take a tour then I would highly recommend that you do that also.  There is just so much information that you find out about the church while you are on tour.

Be well travel safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment