Thursday, January 28, 2010

Andechs Kloister Herrshing


Alter detail
Went yesterday on a little walk to Andechs Kloister I had heard about this a long time ago and I thought it would be a good time to visit. It is around the area of Herrishing in Bavaria. It was a little cold and as I'm sort of new to traveling by train anywhere this was a learning experience for me. I got on the right train and ended up two stops short of where I wanted to get, so now I've learned that I need to check and make sure I'm on the right train. I was able to wait for another train to take me the rest of the way to Herrshing but had I been on the right train I would have gotten there sooner. The other thing is that if your stop is between the last stop listed on the train then you can get on that one and make it to your stop, you just have to make sure it stops where you want to get off.



Alter of Church
The walk to Andechs was a bit farther than I had expected turns out to be about an eight mile or so trip there and back again. You can take a bus but I was under the impression that it wasn't that far away. Silly me. The weather was in the zero to minus Celsius range so at times it wasn't a pleasant walk but it was a good walk. On the way there we missed a sign on the foot path and ended up on the street, which because of the snow made life a little scary as there was no where to go once the cars were coming except into the snow. The roads here are very narrow so they aren't very far away and when the speed limit is 80kph that's kind of quick to have cars going by you about two feet away on snow covered roads and uneven sides covered with snow.

We managed to find the foot path on the way back and it appears it could be very scenic in the summer time but in the winter time there were many foot falls and you are in the middle of a pretty big forest most of the time so it proved to be interesting. Luckily for me there were already some footprints going my way and I followed those back to civilization.
I would recommend the bus or if you have a car drive there. I had planned on sampling the beer but the hour plus walk in minus Celsius temps didn't make it seem like a good idea.
You must visit the church, it is one of the most impressive churches I've visited in Germany this time or ever. Yes, it is that nice, not Cathedral quality but very close to it. There is the beer garden and food to sample too. After we walked all the distance I don't ever feel like eating so I guess I'll just have to plan to go back some time.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Andechs

No comments:

Post a Comment