Monday, November 16, 2009

Tested Backtrack

I took the Backtrack GPS system out for a test walk and drive today. It seems to work just fine while walking just a bit different while driving. Maybe the car goes to fast for the GPS to keep up. Having said that the system did work in getting me back to my original starting place, just the distances were a bit off but only while driving.

I walked about half a mile from my point of origin and took a different route back and was able to manage to get back to the original point.

I was a bit put off by the thing turning off at times. I presume the power saver function makes it do this. It is a bit annoying waiting for the GPS to relocate the satellites. It seems also to take a bit of time after turning it on after its been sitting for a while for it to locate satellites. Admitted I was in between houses but this shouldn't have been a problem as there was enough open space to acquire good visual sighting to the sky. No obstructions. If this were in a city I don't know how long it would take to establish a signal and with the system turning off all of the time it might take a little getting used to the quirk.

I guess when all is said and done if one is lost then the little time spent waiting to find the right direction isn't much of a distraction.

Should work well. I'd recommend it to someone at this point in time. I'll find out when I'm in unfamiliar areas how well it really works. I'll keep you posted on that fact.

Here is my updated post http://fotographxx.blogspot.com/2011/02/travel-accessory.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment