Sunday, November 15, 2009

$#@%^%$# mother board

Got a call from the repair place and they tell me that the mother board on my new computer is failing and needs to be replaced. It has a two week turn around. It may not be back in time for me to take it on my trip. Lots and lots of bad words here. Don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get it back. I have a back up plan of sorts but I don't know if it will be all that great. Lots of work to swap out machines.
Heck one more little bit of stress to add to the pile.
I did however get water proof boots, gloves and a snow cap for the trip just in case. I know I'll need the boots so that's a good thing. I also located a simple GPS called a Back track that will help me find the motel / hotel or where ever I'm trying to get back to. I get to mark a point and then walk away. The Backtracker is supposed to get me back to where I started anywhere in the world. No maps needed just a position on the GPS. Hope it works.
2011-10-12: Update on Backtrack.
Not only did the Backtrack work as advertised but on two occasions I would have been hopelessly lost had it not been for it.  Can't say enough about how it performed.  I used this in the winter time in large cities with tall buildings, like London and Koblenz.  It worked in temperatures of -10 C and lower.  The batteries lasted quite well even in the cold.  Though as a precaution I did charge them after we got back to the hotel in the evening.  I didn't want to chance losing all my stored info by having the batteries die when I needed them the most.  Since my return I make sure that I pack this piece of equipment for every trip no matter where I'm going.

No comments:

Post a Comment